Friday, October 29, 2004

i-toons (racist edition)

Over the last few months that I've been blogging, I've noticed a growing number of right-leaning editorial cartoons - something I don't remember seeing in years past. I don't have a problem with this. This is America and there's certainly no rule that cartoons have to be liberal. But when they cross the line to racist, all bets are off.

I came across the cartoon below and was so stunned by what it's implying (or baldly stating) that I had to read it over a few times to make sure it was saying what I thought it was saying - that black people are criminals who are voting for Kerry because he'll appoint liberal judges who will let them all out of jail. If you read it the same way I do, why not drop the artist an email (mlester101@comcast.net) and let him know that "Homey don't play that".

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just absolutely disgusting. I'm posting it on my blog (http://misslefey.blogdrive.com) AND I'll send that SOB an email too.

October 29, 2004 at 8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erm...No.

If you look closely at the cartoon (well, not THAT closely), you'll see that the only criminal in it has a mask on, disguising his/her identity and race. So the cartoon isn't saying that black people are criminals, only that black people are victims of crime (a fact).

I suspect the cartoon is also saying or implying that areas that are populated mostly by black people have more crime than other areas (also true - black people are far more likely to be victims of crime according to every stat I read).

Lastly, I think the point that the cartoon is trying to make is that if you're black, voting for Kery will eventually make you even more likely to be a victim of crime. So don't vote for Kerry.

It's not a point I agree with at all, as I think it's unsupported by the facts, but is it racist? No, I don't think so.

All the best,

Skev
http://www.mavart.com
(couldn't be bothered registering to comment, sorry)

October 31, 2004 at 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home